Saturday, January 16, 2010

Here she comes!


"I am standing on the seashore. A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean. I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, "She is gone." Gone where? The loss of sight is in me, not in her. Just at the moment when someone says, "She is gone," there are others who are watching her coming. Other voices take up the glad shout, "Here she comes." --Henry Scott Holland.
I found this today on a website. It stopped me in my tracks.
This quote evokes a memory for me. It is a dreamscape. I see it with my eyes closed.
I have always made art. I cannot remember not creating. My work is often referred to as a "dreamscape." These days, thought I cannot make paintings and woodcut prints any longer, I am still creating. How does a person every stop creating. I can't imagine that.
Recently, I began to focus on creating with clay. Pottery. It, too, springs forth from that place inside my soul where all my works have emerged from my whole career. It is like going on a voyage, deep within myself. It is the "unseen" that I have always held in my mind's eye as I worked. I still do. Now, it is done with clay.
I understand the journey much better now that I cannot see. Things I do not see here, are seen another place. I cannot see from this direction, but from another viewing point, I see perfectly well. It is an exciting journey, Inner Vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your message on this article. Please take a moment to respond. Thanks.